Rewards and Expectations
The High Weald Academy promotes a simple rule of four for students; follow all tasks and instructions, engage in all activities, apply yourselves in all that you do and produce your best work at all times. These four core values underpin our behaviour for learning policy, which challenges students to become independent and resilient learners who strive for excellence in all that they do.
Through our high expectations, we aim to recognise and celebrate the achievements and successes of all students through our use of rewards. These include:
- House Points – students are recognised and rewarded for behaviours that we feel demonstrate our four core values. These are awarded using Classcharts, our online platform that both students and parents/carers can monitor, track and also record house points.
- Positive phone calls home – recognising and sharing achievements with parents and carers.
- Certificates – Our bronze, silver and gold house point benchmarks recognised with a certificate of merit sent home to parents and carers.
- SLT Weekly Raffle – Students nominated by members of the Senior Leadership Team in recognition of excellent effort or work, with the opportunity to be placed in the Monday morning £5 gift voucher raffle.
- Teacher Weekly Raffle – Students nominated by their individual teachers in recognition for excellent effort or work, with the opportunity to be placed in the second of Monday morning’s £5 gift voucher raffles.
- Weekly Attendance Prize – A competition between all tutor groups to achieve the highest overall attendance each week, as well as being recognised for the most improved overall attendance, both of which receive a tutor prize every Tuesday morning.
- Positive Post Cards – A positive postcard posted home in recognition of a student demonstrating our core values
- Conduct Cards – A conduct card whereby students are able to receive recognition for demonstrating the community ethos and values. These are also run as small competition challenges (Boys/Girls League), whereby the focus can be on recognising and rewarding improved attendance and behaviour.
- House Competitions – Weekly or termly house competitions for all students and staff to partake in, each focusing on a departmental challenge that has been set to promote creativity or improved wellbeing.
- Weekly House Assemblies – A roll call of top house point achievers for the week, and for the year.
- Termly Celebration Assemblies – Whole school or Year Group based celebration assemblies to recognise and celebrate students effort, work and achievements.