2020 Experience Days
Discover academy life
Choosing the right secondary school for your son or daughter is a big decision. It’s a decision we all want to get right, to ensure your child, our student, is happy and content at school so they can achieve and be the best they can be.
We believe the best way for families to discover more about student life at The High Weald Academy is to invite parents and children to sample our educational offering. If you have a child in Year 5, we would like to invite them to our academy for an ‘Experience Day’.
The day is a great way for children to experience The High Weald Academy first-hand. The day, which starts at 9:30am and finishes at 1pm, allows children to see for themselves what an academy school day has to offer. They can familiarise themselves with the teaching environment and see if The High Weald Academy is a good fit for them.
We also want to encourage parents and carers to come along to one of our Open Events, so you can get a feel for our academy, meet with our students, teachers and support staff too. Plus explore our new 21st century building.
What they will experience?
Our Year 5 visitors will take part in a variety of lessons, orientation tasks, meet teaching staff and students, all whilst having fun and making new friends.
We are excited that your child will get to explore our new 21st century building, which has generated a new era of education opportunities for our future learners.
Experience Day dates
Each day starts at 9:30am and finishes at 1pm
- Thursday 30 April
- Thursday 14 May
- Thursday 18 June
- Friday 26 June
- Monday 6 July
Note: To register your son/daughter's attendance at one of our Experience Days, please complete the online booking form .
Experience Day booking form
Click here to complete the online Experience Day booking form.
Note: This year we have opened up our booking for Years 5 student Experience Days to parents and carers to book directly with the academy. This is to ensure that all prospective families have the opportunity to sample our education offering.
Find out more
Hopefully below we have answered any questions you may have, but if you like any additional information, please do not hesitate to contact us by emailing or calling 01580 712 754. We know that deciding your next step for your child is a big decision.
What time does the ‘Experience Day’ start and where do we need to go?
- Please arrive with your child(ren) between 9:20am and 9:25am at the school’s reception
- You will be greeted by Mrs Lisa Barker the Head of School, together with members of senior leadership team and pastoral support
- Please complete the registration sheet for your child.
On the day, are we expected to stay with our child?
- The day is designed as an independent experience for your child. This allows them to familiarise themselves with the environment and see if The High Weald Academy is a good fit for them
- The focus of the day is to build your child’s confidence, through providing a positive experience to reassure them about their next step into secondary education
- 9:30am Your child will be introduced to teaching staff and begin their school day at The High Weald Academy
- 12.30pm Your child will have lunch whilst getting to know other pupils – please provide a packed lunch for your son/daughter, plus a snack and a drink to have during morning break
- 1pm Your child will be ready to be collected from the academy's restaurant and share their experience with you
- Parents/carers will be asked to complete a sign-out form.
Will my child need to bring a packed lunch?
- 12.30 Your child will have lunch whilst getting to know other pupils in the academy’s restaurant, please provide them with a packed lunch.
What should my child wear for the Experience Day?
- Students attending the day are required to wear their school uniform.
What time does the day finish and where do I collect my child?
- 1pm Students will remain in the school restaurant to be collected. As parents arrive they will be directed and asked to complete a sign-out form.
On the day, can I park in the academy car park?
- On the ‘Experience Day’ access will be given to park for drop-off and collection.
What will my child need to bring?
- A packed lunch and a snack and a drink for morning break.
Will there be an opportunity for parents and carers to tour the academy?
- We invite parents, carers and children to come along to an Open Event or a Guided Tour. It’s important for families to explore and discover what The High Weald Academy has to offering in order to make that important next step decision.