Plan your route
One of the biggest changes is that most children will independently travel to secondary school. Many children worry about this, but there are simple steps families can take to ease concerns.
Identify your route here
The KCC have developed a route planner, which will identify your travel options.
- Find a travel buddy
- Trial the route together a few times over the summer holidays, so your child is familiar with what the surroundings look like
- If travelling by train or bus, apply for the passes well in advance
- It’s always a good idea to discuss a plan an alternative route, for the odd occasion when things don’t go to plan.
- If they have a phone, make sure that the right phone numbers are stored on there.
- Agree in advance who they should call in an emergency and include several ‘back-up’ people on the list.